"A boy, having lost his glasses, can only see one thing in focus at a time. His sight gets attracted by the sounds that surround him. He will have to explore a blurry world of unknown places and strange characters."
10/02 - 22/02 Animated Exeter United Kingdom
20/02 - 23/02 Animac Spain
28/02 - 09/03 Anima Brussels
13/03 - 23/03 Monstra Lisbon
24/03 - 30/03 Ciné-court animé France
Astigmatismo is a 100% independent production, paid entirely from my pocket. If you like the film, consider supporting my work by purchasing a downloadable copy, a physical edition or a piece of original art. If you don´t have money you can always support me by spreading the word about the film.
Buy the film as a Full HD (1920x1080 .mp4) download and help me make more projects like this.
“Astigmatismo” is a short-film about the feeling of being lost. This feeling is created thanks to an extreme blur effect, leaving only a very tiny space in focus. The focus shifts and moves rhythmically, synchronized with the sounds and the music, revealing a constantly changing landscape.
12 - 12
Watch the Making Of video:
Buy extended Making Of + Extras download
- Extended Making Of (20:11) Enlgish, subtitles: Spanish, French
- Interview with Astigmatismo sound designer Pierre Sauze (12:30) French, subtitles: English, Spanish
- From the Animatic to the Final Animation (08:08) English, subtitles: Spanish, French
- Timelapse of a Scene (10:32)
Total running time: 51:21
Buy limited edition DVD
- Numbered limited edition DVD, with silkscreen printed cardboard case and a booklet. Contains the film and the Extended Making Of + extras. Please note that the film comes both as a standard DVD with a menu and as independent full HD .mp4 files that you can play on a computer.
- Four original Gina Thorstensen´s character design silkscreen prints.
- Three original concept art postcards.
- Access to the private Making Of blog.
- Digital download of the film and Making Of + Extras
Currently in production. Estimated delivery: early July
1 - 9
Astigmatismo limited DVD edition. Limited to 140 copies.
Silkscreen printed cardboard case. Closes tightly with a couple of magnets.
Every copy is hand numbered from 11 to 150. (sold by increasing order)
DVD contains the film both as standard DVD video and as full HD .mp4 files.
Every copy is assembled by hand.
16 pages booklet containing basic information about the film and its production.
4 silkscreen prints of some of the original character designs by Gina Thorstensen.
3 postcards with the original concept art made from the original designs by Cecilia Ramieri and Gina Thorstensen.
The Making Of blog is a diary I've been running during the production of the film, writing in great detail about the creative process behind the film, the technical challenges and the reasons behind some artistic choices. I will keep updating it until August 2013.
The optical effect of blur is at the core of the film, so to make this effect as beautiful and authentic as possible "Astigmatismo" is shot in a 5-level multiplane using a special lens. The animation involves cut-out marionettes and paint on glass. Everything is entirely made by hand and there are no post production effects.
It is, however, computer-assisted. The camera and the lens were entirely controlled by computer making it possible to adjust the focus and the depth of field with extreme precision, allowing for a variety of focus effects that wouldn't have been possible to create otherwise. In this way, the film combines old school animation techniques with recent advances in camera technology.
For any questions or inquiries write to:
© Nicolai Troshinsky, todos los derechos reservados / All rights reserved / Tous les droîts reservés